How to get a handicap parking permit in West Virginia (WV)
Persons who meet any of the following conditions are eligible:
- Cannot walk 200 feet without stopping to rest;
- Cannot walk without the use of or assistance from a brace, cane, crutch, another person, prosthetic device, wheelchair, or other assisted device;
- Restricted by lung disease to such an extent his or her forced (respiratory) expiratory volume for 1 second, when measured by spirometry, is less than 1 liter, or the arterial oxygen tension is less than 60mm/hg on room air at rest;
- Uses portable oxygen;
- Has a cardiac condition to the extent that his or her functional limitations are classied in severity as Class III or IV according to standards set by the American Heart Association; or
- Is severely limited in his or her ability to walk due to arthritic, neurological, or orthopedic condition.
How to obtain a permit
All applicants must be residents of West Virginia and complete a Parking Application for a Mobility Impaired Person and have a licensed physician complete and sign part II of the form. The application must then be submitted in person at any DMV Regional Office or mailed toDivision of Motor Vehicles Mobility Impaired Placard and Plates PO Box 17010 Charleston, WV 25317
All placards are free.
Validity/expiration of placards/permits
Permanent placards are valid for 5 years; temporary placards are valid for 6 months.
Permanent placard holders will receive a renewal reminder at the address initially provided to the DMV Regional Office. Recertification of disability will be required.
Temporary placards cannot be renewed. If the temporary disability persists after the expiration date, disabled individuals need to submit a new application.
If a parking placard or special license plate is lost, stolen, mutilated or destroyed, a replacement may be requested at any DMV Regional Oce or by mail at the address listed above. A new application is required, but recertification of disability is not.
Where to hang the placard/permit
When parked in a mobility-impaired parking space, the placard must be hung on the rear view mirror or, in the absence of a mirror post, on the dashboard.
Things You’ll Need
|Applicable Fee: No charge|
|Computer with Internet Access: Application form is available on the state DMV site|
|Physician Certificate: Physician to certify disability in the application form|
|Mail Original Documents: Original application to be submitted in person or by mail|