How to get a handicap parking permit in Wisconsin (WI)

Wisconsin handicapped parking sign with details of the penalty for offenders

Wisconsin handicapped parking sign

How to obtain a permit
Validity / expiration of permits
Lost, stolen, or damaged placards
Where to hang the placard

Who’s eligible?

A person is eligible to receive a disabled parking placard if he or she

  • cannot walk 200 feet without stopping to rest;
  • utilizes portable oxygen;
  • cannot  walk without the use of, or assistance from, another person or brace, cane, crutch, prosthetic device, wheelchair or other assistance device;
  • is restricted by lung disease to the extent that forced expiratory volume for 1 second when measured by spirometry is less than 1 liter or the arterial oxygen tension is less than 60 mm/hg on room air at rest;
  • has a cardiac condition to the extent that functional limitations are classified in severity as class III or IV, according to standards accepted by the American Heart Association; or
  • is severely limited in the ability to walk due to an arthritic, neurological or orthopedic condition.
How to obtain a permit

Applicants seeking a placard for a permanent disability must complete Form MV2548; applicants seeking a placard for a temporary disability must complete Form MV2933.

In all cases, applicants may submit their form to any local DMV customer service center, where they will be charged an additional counter service fee. Applicants may also mail their form to

Special Plates Unit – DIS ID
PO Box 7306
Madison, WI 53707-7306

Permanent placards are free. Temporary placards cost $6. Checks or money orders for that amount can be made payable to Registration Fee Trust, though applications made at local DMV customer service centers are subject to an additional counter service fee.

Validity/expiration of placards/permits

Permanent placards are valid for 4 years. Temporary placards are valid for 6 months.

Renewal of placards

Permanent placards must be renewed every 4 years and require recertification of disability.

Those with temporary placards whose disability extends to more than 6 months and who wish to retain their placards must complete and submit a new application, which will be valid for another six months.

Lost placard/replacement

Lost or stolen permit must be reported to the address listed above, and replacements can be obtained by completing the applicable form.

Where to hang the placard/permit

The placard must be hung from the rear view windshield of the vehicle when parked in a designated parking space. Operating a motor vehicle when a permit is hanging from the rear view mirror is a safety hazard and creates an obstruction to a driver’s clear view through the front windshield. Violators may be fined up to $100.


Placard holders are advised keep a copy of their application when submitting it to Wisconsin DOT. The copy should be with them or in the vehicle to present to a traffic officer upon request.


Source URL

Information on Disabled Parking Placards by Wisconsin DOT
Important Information for Use of Disabled Parking Permits


Things You’ll Need

Applicable Fee: $6.00 for a temporary placard.
Computer with Internet Access: Application form is available on the state DOT site
Physician Certificate: Physician to certify disability in the application form
Mail Original Documents: Original application to be submitted by mail


; ;