How to get a handicap parking permit in Utah (UT)

Utah handicapped parking sign with details of the penalty for offenders

Utah handicapped parking sign

How to obtain a permit
Validity / expiration of permits
Lost, stolen, or damaged placards
Where to hang the placard

Who’s eligible?

A person is eligible to receive a disabled parking placard if he or she

  • cannot walk 200 feet without stopping to rest;
  • cannot walk without the use of or assistance from a brace, cane, crutch, another person, prosthetic device, wheelchair, or other assistive devices;
  • are restricted by lung disease to such an extent that the person’s forced (respiratory) expiratory volume for 1 second, when measured by spirometry, is less than 1 liter, or arterial oxygen tension is less than 60 mm/hg on room air at rest;
  • uses portable oxygen;
  • has a cardiac condition to the extent that the person’s functional limitations are classified in severity as Class III or IV according to standards set by the American Heart Association; or
  • is severely limited in his or her ability to walk due to an arthritic, neurological, or orthopedic condition.
How to obtain a permit

Applicants and their doctor must complete and sign a Disabled Person and Physician Disability Certification (Form TC-842). The form can then be submitted at the local DMV.


Placards are free.

Validity/expiration of placards/permits

Permanent placards are valid for 2 years upon issuance. Temporary placards are issued for a period not exceeding 6 months.

Renewing placards

The DMV will mail permanent placard holders a renewal notice, which must be signed and mailed back to the DMV. Those who lose their notice or do not receive one, can visit their local DMV or call (801) 297-7780 or 1-800-368-8824 to renew the placard over the phone.

Temporary placard holders whose disability extends beyond the 6-month limit need to reapply by following the same procedure at initial application.

Lost placard/replacement

A replacement placard can be obtained by completing the Disabled Person and Physician Disability Certification (Form TC-842).

    • You DO NOT need a new physician’s certification.
    • You DO need the number of your lost or stolen disability placard or plate.
    • Submit the completed application form and payment (if applicable) in person to your local Utah DMV branch office or by mail to:

Division of Motor Vehicles

Mail and Correspondence

P.O. Box 30412

Salt Lake City, UT 84130

Where to hang the placard/permit

The placard must be hung from the front windshield rear view mirror when the vehicle is parked in the designated parking space. The placard should be displayed as such that it is visible from both the front and rear of the vehicle.


Source URL

Information about Disabled Plates and Placards

Things You’ll Need

Applicable Fee: No charge
Computer with Internet Access: Application form is available on the state DMV site
Physician Certificate: Physician to certify disability in the application form
Mail Original Documents: Original application to be submitted in person or by mail


; ;