How to get a handicap parking permit in Illinois (IL)


Illinois handicapped parking sign with details of the penalty for offenders

How to obtain a permit
Validity / expiration of permits
Lost, stolen, or damaged placards
Where to hang the placard

Who’s eligible?

A person is eligible to receive a disabled parking placard if he or she is unable to walk 200 feet without stopping to rest and

  • cannot walk without the assistance of another person, prosthetic device, wheelchair, or other assistive device;
  • be restricted by lung disease to such a degree that forced (respiratory) expiratory volume (FEV) in 1 second, when measured by spirometry, is less than 1 liter;
  • must use portable oxygen;
  • have a Class III or Class IV cardiac condition according to standards set by the American Heart Association; or
  • be severely limited in the ability to walk due to an arthritic, neurological, or orthopedic condition.
How to obtain a permit

Applicant must fill out the Persons with Disabilities Certification for Parking Placard/License Plates form, which must be certified by a licensed physician, nurse practitioner, or physician’s assistant. Those applying for a temporary placard can submit a completed form to any Secretary of State facility or mail it to the following address. Those applying for a permanent placard must mail their completed form to:

Secretary of State
Persons with Disabilities License Plates/Placard Unit
501 S. Second St., Rm. 541
Springfield, IL 62756

Placards are issued free of charge.

Validity/expiration of placards/permits

Permanent placards (blue) are valid for 4 years. Temporary placards (bright red) are issued for a maximum of 6 months. Organizational placards, which are available to groups that transport disabled people, are valid for 4 years from their date of issue or until 2018, whichever comes sooner.

Renewing your placard

Renewing a placard is the same as the original application process. Applicants must fill out Form VSD 62.23 and mail it to the address above.

Lost placard/replacement

To replace a lost, damaged, damaged, or stolen placard, applicants must complete form VSD 415.9 and pay a $10.00 replacement fee (unless the applicant is eligible for the Circuit Breaker program, in which case it is free). The completed form can be submitted or mailed to

Secretary of State
Persons with Disabilities License Plates/Placards Unit
501 S. Second St., Rm. 541
Springfield, IL 62756
Where to hang the placard/permit

The placard must hang from the rearview mirror such that the placard is visible through the front windshield. In the absence of a rear view mirror, the placard must be displayed on the dashboard or sun visor.


Source URL

Drivers with disabilities in Illinois
Application for Replacement Disability Parking Placard (PDF Form)
Persons with Disabilities Publications and Forms


Things You’ll Need

Applicable Fee: No charge
Computer with Internet Access: Favorable but not mandatory
Physician Certificate: Physician to certify disability in the application form
Mail Original Documents: Original application to be submitted in person or by mail