How to get a handicap parking permit in Nebraska (NE)

Nebraska handicapped parking sign with details of the penalty for offenders

Nebraska handicapped parking sign

How to obtain a permit
Validity / expiration of permits
Lost, stolen, or damaged placards
Where to hang the placard

Who’s eligible?

To obtain a disability parking permit, individuals must have a medical condition that limits mobility resulting in his or her inability to travel more than 200 feet without the assistance of a wheelchair, crutch, walker, prosthetic, or other assistive device. A certifiable medical condition may include, but is not limited to,

  • severe visual or physical impairment;
  • severe respiratory problems;
  • a Class III or Class IV cardiac condition; or
  • loss of all or substantially all the use of one or more limbs.

Facilities such as retirement homes, hospitals, schools and places of a similar type involved in the transportation of handicapped individuals may also receive disability parking permits.

How to obtain a permit

Applicants must contact their Nebraska-licensed medical professional (physician, physician’s assistant, or nurse practitioner) to request a permit. That individual must then request a new or renewal permit through the Online Handicap Parking Permit Service.

Applicants working with medical professionals who aren’t licensed in Nebraska can use the Application for Handicapped Parking Permit; its medical certification section must be completed by the medical professional.

The completed and signed application must be submitted, along with a photocopy of acceptable proof of identification, to the

Nebraska Department of Motor Vehicles
Driver and Vehicle Records Division
Attn: Handicapped Parking Permits
PO Box 94789
Lincoln, NE 68509-4789

Handicapped parking permits are free.

Validity/expiration of permits

Permanent permits (blue) are valid for 6 years and expire on the last day of the applicant’s birthday month in the sixth year of the permit’s issuance.

Temporary placards (red) are valid for up to 6 months. Their expiration dates are determined by the expected date of recovery indicated in the medical certification section of the Handicapped Parking Permit Application.

Renewing permits

To renew a permit, applicants follow the same procedure as for the initial issuance. Applications can be submitted 180 days prior to expiration. Temporary permits can only be renewed once for an additional maximum 6-month period.

Lost placard/replacement

A lost or stolen placard can be replaced by completing and signing the same application as was completed during the request for a new permit. The check box specifying “replacement” must be checked. Applicants do not need to have their disability recertified by a medical professional. The completed application must be submitted with a photocopy of acceptable proof of identification and mailed to the local DMV.

Permit holders are limited to two replacements. After the second replacement, the individual must submit the application as a request for a new permit and obtain the appropriate medical certification.

Where to hang the placard/permit

The placard must be hung from the rear view mirror when the vehicle is parked in the designated parking space.


Acceptable proof of identification includes a

  • valid driver’s license;
  • valid state identification card;
  • valid certified birth certificate;
  • valid passport;
  • other valid, reliable form of identification containing date of birth; or
  • a combination of valid, reliable forms containing date of birth.

Source URL

Handicap Parking Permit Informational Flyer
Application Form for Handicapped Parking Permit (PDF Form)
Information about Handicapped Parking Permits from the DMV


Things You’ll Need

Applicable Fee: No charge
Computer with Internet Access: The application form is available on state DMV site
Physician Certificate: Physician to certify disability in the application form
Mail Original Documents: Original application to be mailed along with a photocopy of acceptable proof of identification







; ;