How to get a handicap parking permit in Montana (MT)

Montana handicapped parking sign with details of the penalty for offenders

Montana handicapped parking sign with details of the penalty for offenders

How to obtain a permit
Validity / expiration of permits
Lost, stolen, or damaged placards
Where to hang the placard

Who’s eligible?

A person is eligible to receive a disabled parking placard if he or she

  • cannot walk 200 feet without stopping to rest;
  • is severely limited in ability to walk because of an arthritic, neurological, or orthopedic condition;
  • is so severely disabled that the person cannot walk without the use of or assistance from a brace, cane, another person, prosthetic device, wheelchair, or other assistive device;
  • uses portable oxygen;
  • is restricted by lung disease to the extent that forced expiratory respiratory volume, when measured by spirometry, is less than 1 liter per second or the arterial oxygen tension is less than 60 mm/hg on room air at rest;
  • has impairment because of cardiovascular disease or a cardiac condition to the extent that the person’s functional limitations are classified as class III or IV under standards accepted by the American Heart Association;
  • has a disability resulting from an acute sensitivity to automobile emissions or from another disease or physical condition that limits or impairs the person’s mobility and that is documented by the licensed physician, licensed advanced practice registered nurse as being comparable in severity to the other conditions listed in this subsection.
How to obtain a permit

Applicant must complete the Disability Permit/License Plate Application (Form MV5). A physician, chiropractor, or advance practice registered nurse must complete its Part B. The form can then be mailed to the nearest county treasurer’s office.


Disability placards are free.

Validity/expiration of placards/permits

Permanent placards are valid for 3 years. Temporary placards are valid for 6 months. Extended temporary placards are issued for up to 24 months.

Renewing placards

Placards may be renewed by following the steps listed in “How to obtain a permit” above.

Lost placard/replacement

To replace a lost, stolen, or damaged placard, the placard holder need only phone the Motor Vehicle Division of the Montana Department of Justice at (406) 444-3933, which will reissue the placard free of charge. No forms are required.

Where to hang the placard/permit

The placard must be hung from the rear view mirror when the vehicle is parked in the designated parking space.


Source URL

 Physical disability plates and parking permit placards

Things You’ll Need

Applicable Fee: No charge
Computer with Internet Access: Favorable but not mandatory
Physician Certificate: Physician to certify disability in the application form
Mail Original Documents: Original application to be submitted by mail


; ;