How to get a handicap parking permit in Idaho (ID)


Idaho handicapped parking sign

How to obtain a permit
Validity / expiration of permits
Lost, stolen, or damaged placards
Where to hang the placard

Who’s eligible?

Special parking permits are issued by the Idaho Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) to any person with a disability and who owns a vehicle registered in his/her name. Person with a disability means someone who

  • cannot walk 200 ft or more without using  a walker, cane, crutch, braces, wheelchair, a prosthetic device, or another person;
  • cannot walk 200 ft or more without discomfort or difficulty due to a neurological, orthopedic, respiratory, cardiac impairment, an arthritic disorder, blindness, or the absence or loss of function of a limb;
  • has a permanent disability where the physician certifies that there is no expectation for a fundamental change in the condition in the future.
How to obtain a permit

The applicant must complete the Disability License Plate And Placard application (Form ITD 3392) and mail it to

Idaho Transportation Department
Vehicle Services – Special Plates
PO Box 7129
Boise, ID 83707-1129

Both permanent and temporary placards are issued free of charge.

Validity/expiration of placards/permits

Because permanent placards are issued in perpetuity, there is no expiration date. Temporary placards (red) are valid for 6 months.

Renewing your placard

Only temporary placards are subject to renewal. To renew them, the applicant must resubmit the Disability License Plate And Placard application (Form ITD 3392), which includes recertification by a physician. The completed form must be mailed to the address shown above.

Lost placard/replacement

Lost, stolen, or damaged cards are reissued at no charge. Applicants can call the Idaho Division of Motor Vehicles at (208) 334-8735 for further assistance.

Where to hang the placard/permit

The department designates the place where the placard must be conspicuously displayed in a vehicle.

Source URL

Disability License Plates and Placards Application
Idaho Division of Motor Vehicles
Section 49-410- Special license plates and placards for the disabled


Things You’ll Need

Applicable Fee: No charge
Computer with Internet Access: Application form is available on the state DMV site, or at your local DMV office
Physician Certificate: Physician to certify disability in the application form
Mail Original Documents: Original application to be submitted by mail