How to get a handicap parking permit in California (CA)


California handicapped parking sign

How to obtain a permit
Validity / expiration of permits
Lost, stolen, or damaged placards
Where to hang the placard

Who’s eligible?

An individual may qualify for a disabled person’s placard or license plate if he or she

  • has impaired mobility due to having lost use of one or more lower extremities, or both hands;
  • has been diagnosed with a disease that substantially impairs or interferes with mobility; or
  • is severely disabled to be unable to move without the aid of an assistive device.

You may also qualify if you have specific documented visual problems, including lower vision or partial-sightedness.

How to obtain a permit

The applicant must complete and sign a REG 195, the application for disabled placards or plates.


A permanent placard can be obtained free of cost by the eligible applicant. Individuals with a temporary disability must pay $6.00 for a temporary disability parking permit placard.

Validity/expiration of placards/permits
  • A permanent placard holds a 2-year validity and expires on June 30th of every odd-numbered year.
  • A temporary parking placard is valid for up to 180 days (6 months) or the date specified by your licensed medical professional on the application, whichever is lesser.
  • A travel parking placard for California residents who have a permanent DV license plate or a DP parking placard is valid for 30 days from the date the DMV issues the placard.
  • The validity of a travel parking placard for non-residents is 90 days or the date issued by their licensed medical professional, whichever is less.
Renewing your permit/placard

People with a permanent disability parking placard do not need to file any application for renewal. The DMV will mail them the new placard on the address mentioned in their DMV records. In case of change in the address, a DMV 14 application needs to be filed to ensure the placard is delivered at the most recent address. A temporary parking placard cannot be renewed more than six times consecutively.

Lost placard/replacement

Lost, stolen, or damaged disabled person or disabled veteran license plates or placards can be renewed by completing an REG 156 application, which must then be mailed to:

DMV Placard
PO Box 942869
Sacramento, CA 94269-0001
Where to hang the placard/permit

The placard must be displayed on the rearview mirror when the vehicle is stationary but removed when the vehicle is in motion.


Source URL

California Department of Motor Vehicles

Things You’ll Need

Applicable Fee: $6.00 for a temporary placard.
The application form is available on the state DMV website, or it can be obtained in person at the local DMV
Physician Certificate: Physician to certify disability in the application form
Where the disabled lost lower extremities or both hands and submits the application in person at the local DMV.
Mail Original Documents: Original application to be submitted in person or by mail


; ;