How to get a handicap parking permit in Arizona (AZ)


Arizona handicapped parking sign

How to obtain a permit
Validity / expiration of permits
Lost, stolen, or damaged placards
Where to hang the placard

Who’s eligible?

A person is eligible to receive a disabled parking placard if

  • he/she cannot walk 200 feet at length without stopping to rest;
  • utilizes portable oxygen;
  • has a Class III or Class IV cardiac condition;
  • suffers from an arthritic, neurological, or orthopedic condition that severely limits his/her ability to walk;
  • has a severe audio handicap;
  • suffers from a lung disease that is restrictive to the extent that the arterial oxygen tension is less than 60 mm/hg at rest, or when the forced expiratory volume for one second is less than one liter when measured through spirometry;
  • cannot move without an assisting device such as a brace, crutch, cane, wheelchair, prosthetic device, another person, etc.; or
  • uses portable oxygen

An organization is eligible to receive a disabled parking placard if  the registered vehicle owned or leased by the organization and that will display the placard or the international symbol of access special plates primarily transports physically disabled persons.

Trailers are not eligible for permits.

How to obtain a permit

The applicant must file a Disability-Hearing Impaired Plate/Placard Application form (Form 96-0104). The application form can be obtained online.


According to § 28-2409, the transportation department shall issue placards at no additional charge.

Validity/expiration of placards/permits

Permanent disability placards are valid for 5 years, and temporary disability placards are valid for 6 months. In both cases, the medical certification must remain valid for the respective timeframe. If the medical condition continues at the end of the 6 months, a new application is required for renewal of the placard.

Renewing your permit/placard

Permanent placard owners must complete and sign a renewal certification (the Placard Renewal/Replacement Request) in the presence of a notary or MVD agent. Temporary placard owners must submit a new application if their disability continues beyond the expiration of the placard.

Lost placard/replacement

Lost, stolen, or damaged placards can be replaced at no cost to the eligible applicant. The applicant must, however, submit a Placard Renewal/Replacement Request form (Form 40-0112) available online.

Where to hang the placard/permit

The placard must be displayed on the rearview mirror when the vehicle is stationary but removed when the vehicle is in motion.


Source URL

Special Plates and Placards Information
Placard Renewal Replacement Request

Things You’ll Need

Applicable Fee: No charge
Computer with Internet Access: The application form is available on the AZDOT website
Physician Certificate: Physician to certify disability in the application form
Mail Original Documents: Original application to be submitted in person or mailed


; ;