How to get a handicap parking permit in Delaware (DE)
A person is eligible to receive a disabled parking placard if he/she
- cannot walk 200 feet without stopping to rest;
- has a cardiac condition to the extent that his/her or household member’s functional limitations are classified in severity as Class III or Class IV according to the standards set by the American Heart Association;
- is severely limited in his/her ability to walk due to an arthritic, neurological or orthopedic condition;
- is restricted by lung disease to such an extent that his/her or household member’s forced (respiratory) expiratory volume, 1 second, when measured by spirometry, is less than 1 liter or the arterial oxygen tension is less than 60 mm/hg at room air or rest;
- cannot walk safely without the use of or assistance from a brace, cane, crutch, another person, prosthetic device, wheelchair, or other assistive device;
- uses portable oxygen.
How to obtain a permit
The applicant must submit Form MV 474, which can be obtained online at the state DMV website or from any division facility. Completed forms can be mailed to:State of Delaware Division of Motor Vehicles PO Box 698 Dover DE 19903 Attn: Correspondence
Applicants 85 years or older may submit the form online.
There is no fee for issuance or reissuance.
Validity/expiration of placards/permits
A permanent disability parking placard is valid for up to 3 years. A temporary disability parking placard is valid for a minimum of 35 days and a maximum of 90 days.
Renewing your permit/placard
Renewing a disabled parking permit placard involves completing Form MV2011 and mailing it toState of Delaware Division of Motor Vehicles PO Box 698 Dover, DE 19903 Attn: Correspondence
The form may also be completed online. For persons with a permanent disability, there is no fee for renewal nor is a physician’s signature needed.
To renew a temporary disability parking placard, a new application along with the physician’s certification should be submitted.
Replacement of a lost or damaged placard may require a $1.00 replacement fee. Delivery of the placard at the applicant’s address may take up to 10 days.
Where to hang the placard/permit
The placard must be displayed on the rearview mirror when the vehicle is stationary but removed when the vehicle is in motion.
Things You’ll Need
|Applicable Fee: No charge|
|Computer with Internet Access: Favorable but not mandatory|
|Physician Certificate: Physician to certify disability in the application form|
|Applicants 85 years of age and older|
|Mail Original Documents: Original application to be submitted in person or by mail|