How to get a handicap parking permit in Oklahoma (OK)
A person is eligible to receive a physical disability parking placard if he or she
- cannot walk 200 feet without stopping to rest;
- must use portable oxygen;
- cannot walk without the use of or assistance from a brace, cane, crutch, another person, prosthetic device, wheelchair or other assistant device;
- is restricted to such an extent that the person’s forced (respiratory) expiratory volume for 1 liter, or the arterial oxygen tension is less than 60 MM/HG on room air at rest;
- has functional limitations that are classified in severity as Class III or IV according to standards set by the American Heart Association;
- is severly limited in his or her ability to walk due to an arthritic, neurological, or orthopedic condition, or conditions due to pregnancy;
- is certified legally blind; or
- is missing one or more limbs, which impairs mobility.
How to obtain a permit
Applicants must complete the Physical Disability Parking Placard form, which must be certified by a physician, physician assistant, or advanced registered nurse practitioner attesting that the applicant has a physical disability. The completed form must then be mailed toDepartment of Public Safety Driver Compliance Div. – Physical Disability PO Box 11415 Oklahoma City, OK 73136-0415
There is no fee for placards.
Validity/expiration of placards/permits
Permanent placards are valid for 5 years. Temporary placards are valid for the duration of the disability, which shall not exceed 6 months.
Applicants who wish to renew placards must follow the same procedure for requesting a new permit.
In case a placard is lost or destroyed, the owner may apply for a replacement in writing to the Department of Public Safety. The replacement placard will be issued with the same expiration date as the original placard.
Where to hang the placard/permit
The placard must be hung from the rear view mirror so that it is visible from the front and rear windshield of the vehicle.
Things You’ll Need
|Applicable Fee: $1.00 for a disabled parking permit|
|Computer with Internet Access: Favorable but not mandatory|
|Physician Certificate: Physician to certify disability in the application form|
|Mail Original Documents: Original application to be submitted by mail|